What is LoboMail and how to access the MyUNM.edu email account securely? What are the features and services students get through LoboMail?
Check all the latest updates and step-by-step procedures to set up UNM email on Android, iOS, and other devices. Please have a look.
What is LoboMail?
There are many applications and tools the University of New Mexico offers to students, faculty, and staff. LoboMail is one of the important applications that students use to check their email.
It is powered by Microsoft Exchange and available to access through different devices such as Office 365 web-based version, Outlook Android or iOS app, and Outlook Windows or Mac application. You will also have access to your email calendar, tasks, and people features.
Please note that only those users who have joined the University and created their UNM NetID and Password can access their UNC Email account.
If you are a new student then you will have to set up your NetID and after that, you can check your inbox.
How do I log into LoboMail?
To Log In, visit the LoboMail login page at lobomail.unm.edu, enter your UNM Email address (NetID username), enter your password (NetID password), and click the Sign In button.
We will share the step-by-step login process but first, we will check other details.
UNM Email Login Requirements:
Before logging in, there are a few requirements that everyone should know.
UNM recommends Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. Please use these browsers to avoid compatibility issues.
- You must have an activated NetID and create your password.
- You must have a secure device to open the LoboMail website.
- You must have completed the MFA (Multi-Factor Authentication).
- While logging in, please ensure a fast internet connection.
Step-by-step process to access UNM Email?
You may follow the below simple steps to access your UNM Email account.
- Open the LoboMail Login Page.
- Enter Your Login Credentials.
- Complete MFA Authentication.
- Access Your Account.
Details of each step are given below. Please have a look.
Step 1. Open the LoboMail Login Page.
The first step is to open the Lobomail login page. Open any supported web browser on your device and visit lobomail.unm.edu. You can also click the Email icon on the top right corner of the MyUNM web portal.
Step 2. Enter Your Login Credentials.
You will see a Microsoft Outlook login page on the screen (as shown below).
Enter your NetID username and press the Next button. On the next page, enter your password and click the Sign In button.
Step 3. Complete MFA Authentication.
In the next step, you will have to authenticate your login as per the authentication method you have set up. It may be through a security code you will receive on your mobile or through the Microsoft Authenticator app.
Step 4. Access Your Account.
After that MFA authentication, you will be logged in to your email account and can check your Office 365 Outlook inbox.
Note: To avoid or reduce the number of MFA authentications for further logins, you can select the “Stay signed in” option while logging in.
What is a UNM NetID and how to create one?
A UNM NetID is associated with each student, staff, and faculty account. Once you join the University of New Mexico, it is essential to create a new UNM NetID. The NetID is used to access different useful resources and applications available through your campus.
Your NetID will be used to log in to the below applications.
- UNM Website Hosting,
- myUNM portal,
- Library services,
- Help.UNM, etc
How to create a new UNM NetID?
Please follow the below steps.
- Visit NetID.unm.edu
- Click the “New NetID Registration” link.
- Click the “UNM NetID Registration” link.
- Enter your nine-digit UNM ID number on your LoboCard in the Banner ID section and enter your date of birth.
- Your first name and last name will be automatically populated.
- Click the “I Agree and Submit” button.
- On the next page, create a new UNM NetID.
- Enter your mobile number and create a password for your UNM NetID.
- Set up security questions to recover your account in the future.
Is the University of New Mexico using 2-factor authentication?
To prevent unauthorized access to University email accounts and secure all personal data, the University of New Mexico has implemented Multi-Factor Authentication on all email accounts. MFA helps to secure email data and avoid privacy-related issues with the help of additional authentication.
UNM is using Azure MFA for all UNM accounts to access various services. Now whenever someone is accessing any application, a second authentication will be required in the form of a mobile app push notification or security code after entering your UNM NetID and Password.
This way the login process to all UNM applications including UNM email has now become a two-step process.
- Enter your NetID and Password.
- Enter a one-time passcode or approve the notification.
Since we are talking about the LoboMail application in this article, it will also require to authenticate the login through Azure MFA.
Let’s discuss how to set up the Multi-Factor Authentication.
There are multiple options to set up Azure MFA as mentioned below.
- Mobile phone (call/sms)
- Mobile phone (authenticator app/push)
- Mobile phone without internet access (authenticator app: one-time passcode)
- Another mobile device like a tablet with internet access (authenticator app: push notification)
- Another mobile device like a tablet without internet access (authenticator app: one-time passcode)
- Computer (laptop/desktop/etc.) with or without internet access (authenticator app: one-time passcode)
The University of New Mexico recommends setting up the Azure MFA through the Microsoft Authenticator mobile app. It will show push notifications if an MFA is required.
How to set up?
First of all, download the Microsoft Authenticator mobile app by clicking the below links.
After that, please follow the below steps.
If you are logging in to any application then you will be asked to set up MFA.
- Open a web browser on your desktop or laptop.
- Visit the LoboMail website and enter your login credentials.
- You will have to set up MFA to proceed further.
- In the “How should I contact you” section, select the Mobile App option.
- After that, select “Receive Notifications for Authentications” and click the Set Up button.
- A QR code will be shown on the screen.
- Now open the Microsoft Authenticator app on your smartphone that you have downloaded.
- In the app, click Add Account and select School or Work account.
- A QR Code scanner application will open on the smartphone.
- Scan the QR code on the desktop/laptop.
- Click the Next button on the desktop and approve the notification received on the smartphone.
Your MFA setup is completed now and you will receive a push notification every time you log in from a new device or browser.
How to set up HoboMail on different devices?
We have shown above that if you log in to HoboMail in a web browser then it opens the Outlook 365 web-based application where you can check and send emails.
If you want to set up and access UNM email on different devices then you will have to complete the basic setup. Please check below.
UNM recommends setting up Outlook 365 or any other version on different devices such as…
- Outlook Web Access (Lobomail)
- Outlook on Windows
- Outlook on Mac OS
- Outlook App for Android
- Outlook App for iOS
You can also set up LoboMail on a third-party email client such as the Apple Mail app, Thunderbird, Mulberry, Pine, etc. but you will not get any support from UNM.
Let us check how to configure different devices below.
Set up the Outlook app for iOS:
Please follow the below steps.
- Download Outlook iOS App and open it on your smartphone.
- Enter your University of New Mexico email address and tap the Add Account.
- If it does not open then go to Menu > tap Settings > Add Account > Add Email Account.
- Enter your password and proceed to the next step.
- Complete the multi-factor authentication by verifying your identity.
- Provide permission access if it requires any.
- Access your email on the Outlook for iOS app.
Set up email in the Outlook for Android app
Please follow the below steps.
- Download the Outlook Android App.
- Install the Outlook for Android app on your smartphone.
- Select the accounts you’d like to add and tap Add Account. You may be asked to sign in. Tap Allow to confirm offline access and any other prompts.
- Enter your UNM email address and tap Continue.
- Enter your password and tap Sign In or Next.
- Verify your identity to complete the multi-factor authentication.
- Access your email.
Set up email in the Outlook desktop app
You can also set up the Outlook app on your Windows PC. Please follow the below steps.
- Visit https://www.office.com/ and log into your Office 365 account.
- Download Microsoft Office 365 on your desktop.
- Open Outlook and on the View tab, select View settings.
- Select Accounts > Email accounts.
- To add an account, select Add Account, select a suggested account from the dropdown menu, enter your email address, and select Continue.
- Enter your password and select Done.
What are the server settings for IMAP and POP?
If you want to set up an IMAP or POP account on Outlook or any other email client then you can do that by selecting the manual setup option. In that case, you will have to use specific settings for IMAP or POP accounts.
Lobomail POP3, IMAP, and SMTP settings:
You will have to enter the below-mentioned information for servers, ports, and settings.
|Password||Your Lobomail password||Your Lobomail password|
|SMTP Settings||SMTP server name: smtp-mail.outlook.com or|
SMTP port: 587
SMTP encryption: STARTTLS
|SMTP server name: smtp-mail.outlook.com or|
SMTP port: 587
SMTP encryption: STARTTLS
Enter your email address in place of NetID@unm.edu.
For any type of technical contact UNM Information Technologies Customer Support Services (IT CSS) by calling (505) 277-5757. You may also create a support ticket at Help.UNM.
For more information and Outlook support, visit here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use old Outlook versions also?
Yes, you can use old Outlook versions but UNM recommends and supports the latest Outlook versions that come with Office 2016 or Office 365.
Can I set up other email clients to access Hobomail?
Yes, you can set up and access your UNM email on different email clients such as the Apple Mail app, Thunderbird, Mulberry, Pine, etc. but UNM recommends only using Outlook email clients and does not support third-party clients.
Getting access to your University of New Mexico email is not a tough task if you follow the step-by-step processes given in this article. Hobomail is the university’s solution to provide an email access facility to all students, faculty, and staff. It’s a secure communication offered by UNM and helps every one to get instant access to important emails to everyone.
We have shared multiple ways to access your email in this article. We have also shared how to configure Outlook on different devices such as Desktop, Smartphone, etc.